Jan 22, 2013

Vanilla Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting


I’m not a believer in cupcakes, but frosting on the other hand, makes me a happy kid.
A few days ago I made some vanilla cupcakes just so I can make some of my favorite frosting, Cream Cheese Frosting.

I got the cupcake recipe here. It’s the vanilla cupcakes from the famous Magnolia Bakery.

The original recipe makes 24 cupcakes, but I cut the recipe down and made 12 cupcakes. I also cut down the amount of sugar quit a bit because the frosting itself is sweet enough.
Magnolia’s Vanilla Cupcakes
Ingredients:
1 ½ C self-rising flour -> ¾ C
1 ¼ C all-purpose flour -> ½ C + 2 Tbsp
(pinch of salt)
1 C unsalted butter, softened -> ½ C (1 stick)
2 C sugar -> 2/3 C
4 eggs, at room temperature -> 2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 C milk -> ½ C milk (do yourself a favor and use whole milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract -> ½ tsp
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners. In a bowl, sift together both flours and salt, set aside
2. In another bowl, cream butter until smooth and beat in sugar until light and fluffy.

Add in beaten eggs gradually and mix well.

Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but don’t over mix.


3. Spoon batter into cupcake liners, filling them about ½ - ¾ full.

Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserts and comes out clean.

4. Let cupcakes cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and then transfer them to wire rack to let cool completely before frosting.

* The texture of the cupcakes is dense, but that could be the self-rising flour I used. I made the flour a while ago when I made the Ice Cream Muffins, and maybe the leavening agent in the flour got old and couldn’t help the cake rise.

Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients:
1 (8oz) block cream cheese, softened
¼ C (½ stick) unsalted butter, softened
½ C – 1 C powdered sugar, depends on how sweet you want your frosting to be.
1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:
1. In a bowl, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Then add in powdered sugar a little at a time, otherwise you’ll be covered in powdered sugar.

Finally stir in vanilla extract.

* I used ½ C powdered sugar because I topped those cupcakes with some toasted coconut flakes, which also add extra sweetness to them.

* If the frosting is too runny, let it chill in the fridge for 15-30 minutes and then frost the cupcakes.


enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Loading...