Oct 26, 2012

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies


Sometimes I can be the most indecisive person in the world. After two hours of “stumble upon” and calling up friends, I finally decided to make some chocolate chip pumpkin cookies at 11pm.

When the weather started to get cold last week, I went to the market and bought a bag of 10-pound all-purpose flour and a 29-oz can of pumpkin puree. It’s the baking season. I love fall, I love autumn, I love saying the word autumn, too. It makes me feel smart.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
recipes slightly adapted from Allrecipes
Ingredients:
½ C unsalted butter, softened
¼ C granulated sugar
¾ C packed brown sugar
1 egg, at room temperature, slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 C pumpkin puree
2 ½ C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground clove
½ tsp salt
1 C chocolate chips
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 365F. In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and salt; set aside.

2. In another bowl, cream together softened butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.

Add in egg and vanilla, a little at a time so mixture doesn’t curdle.


Mix in pumpkin puree ¼ C at a time; mix well


3. Add about ½ C of the flour mixture to the pumpkin-butter mixture, mix until dough almost comes together, repeat

and then add in the chocolate chips along with the last ½ C of flour mixture

4. Drop spoonfuls of cookie dough on the baking sheet, spacing ½ inch apart. They don’t really spread because there isn’t much fat in the batter compare to the amount of dough yield.
5. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the edges start turning light brown. Let cool on the cookie sheet for about 2 minutes and then remove to cooling rack and let cool completely.

The original recipe calls for 1 ½ C granulated sugar. I almost very say this about any type of dessert, but I think they were a bit too sweet the last time I made them. I followed the recipe and also dipped them in sugar glaze, and obviously that added a lot of sweetness to the cookies too.
If you like sugar glaze, go ahead and make it, but I would recommend cutting down the amount of sugar in the cookies to ¼ C granulated sugar and ¾ C brown sugar.
OR, if you’re a chocolate person like me and put chocolate in everything, follow my recipe above. The pumpkin cookie base isn’t too sweet itself, but you can definitely taste the pumpkin, which is what we were going for. I used to like my dessert super sweet, and I still do with certain type of dessert; however, I think a lot of time the large amount of sugar overpowers the original taste or other flavors in the dessert.
These cookies are cakey and I’d definitely recommend it if you’re a cakey cookie person. Although the taste is great, they’re not my favorite type of cookies; I prefer fudgy, dense, buttery cookies. Those cookies are super moist (as long as you don’t over bake them) due to the one cup of pumpkin puree; and I think that’s why those cookies don’t need much butter. Most cookie recipe calls for 1 cup or 2 sticks of butter, if you’re wondering…

enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog