Jun 25, 2012

Perfect Egg Tarts


In the last post, I mentioned I made lemon cheesecake tart and egg tarts. Today I’ll share with you my favorite egg tart recipe. I’ve made egg tart twice, and this time I’ve combined the tart crust from Egg Tart I and the custard filling from Egg Tart II.
Perfection! In my opinion anyway.

Perfect Egg Tart
Ingredients:
½ C granulated sugar
¾ C water
4 eggs
dash of vanilla
1 C evaporated milk
Tart Dough, recipe followed
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. In a sauce pan, mix together sugar and water and cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil and sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
3. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla and milk until mixture is well blended. When the sugar water has cooled down, whisk it into the egg mixture.
4. Pour custard filling into the mold to about ¾ full; I'm a greedy person so I couldn't help but to pour in as much filling as I could.

5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the center of the custard slightly giggles when moved. You don't want it to set completely

If you were greedy and clumsy like me, you'll end up with burnt egg custard filling around the tarts molds. but no big deal.

My Favorite Tart Crust
Ingredients:
½ C (1 stick) butter, soften at room temperature
a little less than ½ C powdered sugar
1 egg, at room temperature and slightly beaten
a dash vanilla extract
1 ¾ C all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
Directions:
1. In a bowl, beat softened butter until creamy and smooth.

Add in powdered sugar and salt, beat until light and fluffy

2. Slowly add in the egg. Make sure you add in a little at a time, so mixture doesn’t curdle. Add in vanilla and mix well

3. Add flour in two additions.

At this point you don’t want to over mix the dough; mix until mixture just come together.
4. Chill dough in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.

5. When it’s firm, divide the dough into 12 pieces and then press into tart molds.

pierce bottom of the crust with a fork; and then put them back in the fridge while you make the egg tart filling
enjoy 

2 comments:

Search This Blog