Jun 8, 2012

My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies


My passion for chocolate chip cookies is what got me to start baking. I made them so often, probably at least 3 times a week, and they were the only things I make. I’d stuff my face with them until I couldn’t eat anymore, then brought the rest to class to share with friends. That’s how I make friends; feed them. I probably won’t have any friend if I don’t bake.
However, later on I stopped making chocolate chip cookies.
I realize people make chocolate chip cookies all the time because like brownies, they’re so easy to make. Chocolate chip cookies are everywhere; you see them at any bakery or café and most of them are delicious. For those who likes to bake, but don’t want to get bags of flour and sugar, cookie mix is invented; only things you need are eggs and water. To satisfy those lazy ones who like eating cookie dough cookies right out of the oven, there are premade cookie dough in supermarkets. Everyone knows about the famous chocolate chip cookies and has their “favorite chocolate chip cookies”, some like them chewy, some like them crunchy, most like them “crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside” (seriously, this phrase’s been said so much; I probably say this about most cookies I made.) Some people like chocolate chips, some prefer chocolate chunks, and some people like nuts and dried fruit in their cookies. Some like a little chocolate in their cookies, some love eating chocolate with some cookie dough. It’s just so hard to satisfy everyone’s needs!
Yes, it’s possible to make great chocolate chip cookies that everyone likes, but it is impossible to make everyone’s favorite chocolate chip cookies.
Today I’d like to share with you my little secrets about my chocolate chip cookies. I can’t guarantee those are THE BEST chocolate chip cookies, but they are MY favorite chocolate chip cookies.
My favorite chocolate chip cookies are:
1) chewy almost all the way, but a little crispy on the edges
2) made with chocolate chunks, instead of chocolate chip; so I guess they should be called chocolate chunk cookies
3) 60% chocolate chunks; 40% cookie dough
4) made with 50% brown butter and 50% shortening. The brown butter gives the cookies a nice nutty taste; and the shortening helps the cookies hold their shape, and prevents them from spreading too much and becoming flat and crispy.

Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Ingredients:
2 ¼ C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ C (1 stick) unsalted butter
½ C shortening
¾ C brown sugar
¼ sugar
½ tsp salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 C dark chocolate chunks
Directions:
1. In a sauce pan over medium heat, cook butter until melted


turn the heat down to medium low, and cook until butter turn brown and your kitchen smells like heaven. Pour butter into a big mixing bowl

let it cool to room temperature and become soft solid again.

2. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder, set aside
3. When the brown butter has the texture of softened butter, add in shortening and whip mixture together until smooth and creamy. Add in both sugars and salt, whip until light and fluffy.


It’s very tempting, but try not to eat too much of the sweet nutty butter at this point; be patient. Some of you might think, ew who eats straight up butter and sugar. I do, and believe me, it’s delicious. Don't judge me, just wait until you try it.
4. Mix eggs and vanilla together, and pour a little into the butter mixture at a time; mixing well after each addition.
5. With a spatula or wooden spoon, mix in flour mixture, in three addition.

Don’t over mix. When the flour almost disappears, add in chocolate chunks and mix until incorporated.

Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 24 hours; don’t skip this step. In case you’re wondering why, go ahead and read this article.
Here’s the summary:
“At 12 hours, the dough had become drier and the baked cookies had a pleasant, if not slightly pale, complexion. The 24-hour mark is where things started getting interesting. The cookies browned more evenly and looked like handsomer, more tanned older brothers of the younger batch. The biggest difference, though, was flavor. The second batch was richer, with more bass notes of caramel and hints of toffee.”
“At 36 hours, the dough was significantly drier than the 12-hour batch; it crumbled a bit when poked but held together well when shaped. These cookies baked up the most evenly and were a deeper shade of brown than their predecessors. Surprisingly, they had an even richer, more sophisticated taste, with stronger toffee hints and a definite brown sugar presence.”
6. Bake those cookies in a 325F preheated oven for 10 - 12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly brown.



Now for those of you out there who like “fun size” food, give it up. These cookies need to be huge in order to stay soft and chewy. Plus, fun size stuff is not fun, it’s such a tease; I strongly dislike fun-size candies, I despise them. Anyways, my point is, don’t try to make these cookies into fun-size; small cookies tend to dry out quicker and become crunchy and… that’s not good. Also, I know warm cookies are awesome, I’m a huge fan of them myself. I won’t blame you if you can’t resist the temptation, and eat some warm cookies with ice cream; but do let most of them cool to room temperature; trust me, the flavor gets even better.
I can't promise you that they’re your favorite chocolate chip/chunk cookies, but I guarantee you’ll love them.

enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog