Big success! I was so proud of myself when the macaron shells came out of the oven!
I used the same recipe I’ve been using, but added about 2 tbsp matcha powder to the macaron batter.
2/3 C ground almonds
1 ½ C powdered sugar
3 egg whites
(1/8 tsp cream of tartar, optional)
5 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 -3 tsp matcha powder
(if you want the matcha color, you can add some green food coloring, but it’s optional, I didn’t add it)
1. Sift together powdered sugar and almond, set aside
2. Beat together egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy, turn the speed to high and gradually add in granulated sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until stiff peak forms and then add in vanilla extract and beat for another 15 seconds.
3. Dump in all the almond mixture and mix with a spatula
You don’t need to fold the batter super carefully, but you also don’t want to be too aggressive and definitely don’t want to over-mix it
4. Pipe the batter on the baking pan. They do spread, so make sure you pipe them 1 inch apart from each other.
5. Let the macarons dry in the pan at room temperature for about 20 -45minutes; depends on the weather. If your kitchen is humid, they might need longer time to dry. They’re ready to go into the oven when they don’t stick when touching.
6. Preheat your oven to 280F
7. When the surface of macarons are dry enough to touch, bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until macarons are hard enough to touch; they’re not done when it “sinks in.” Another way of checking the doneness of macaron shells is when you peel one off your baking sheet, it does not fall apart; it should come off easily.
I made sesame filling to go with matcha shells. perfection! In my opinion anyway.
Black Sesame Filling
½ C shortening or soften unsalted butter
1 C ground black sesame/black sesame powder
¾ C powdered sugar
1. In a bowl, cream together shortening(or butter), sesame and sugar. Set aside until needed. If using butter, put in the fridge until needed.
Other macarons I’ve made:
French Macarons with Dulce de Leche
French Macarons with Raspberry and Mandarin Buttercream Filling
Lemon Macarons with Lemon Curd and Lemon Buttercream Filling