Jun 17, 2012

Lemon Tarts


A wonderful treat for summer time! I love love love the tangy lemon curd with the honey crust.

I’ve been making lemon curd with only egg yolks; it tasted good and many people loved it, but I personally think it’s too eggy and rich. I think it was good for macarons or desserts that only has a small amount of lemon curd per serving. However, for those lemon tarts, I used about 1 ½ tablespoon for a tart and I thought the recipe with only egg yolks might make it too rich; I wouldn’t be able to finish one by myself. I changed the recipe and I love this new recipe so much more! I will definitely stick with it from now on.

The crust I made for these tarts were amazing! Kind of tasted like graham cracker crust, but better!
Lemon Curd
Ingredients:
½ C granulated sugar
2 eggs
½ C lemon juice
1 Tbsp lemon zest
½ C (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into cubes; softened but not almost melted.
Directions:
1. In a saucepan, whisk together sugar and eggs, and then lemon juice.

Cook over low heat until mixture thickens.

Try to cook it at the lowest heat possible so you don’t want to scramble the eggs.
2. When the mixture thickens, remove from heat and stir in lemon zest butter cubes, one at a time.


Stir until each butter cube has melted before you add in another. It takes awhile but be patient; it’s wroth it.

3. Press plastic wrap on the surface of the lemon curd to keep a skin from forming and chill the curd in the fridge while you make the crust.
* Many people use the double boiler method to make the lemon curd because it prevents the eggs from being over cooked. However, it can also be done without using the double boiler; you just have to watch it and stir mixture constantly while cooking on the LOWEST heat. You don’t even have to strain it

Honey Tart Shell
Ingredients:
2 C all purpose flour
½ C ground oats/ oat flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¾ C unsalted butter, softened
¼ C packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
¼ C honey
Directions:
1. In a bowl, sift together flour, oat flour, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.

2. Cream the butter until smooth; add both sugars and beat until light and fluffy.

Mix in honey until well combined.

3. Stir in flour mixture, in three parts, mixing well before adding the next part; but don’t over mix.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour, or until firm.

4. Press about 2 Tbsp of dough into each tart mold, and then poke holes with a fork all over. Chill the tart shells for another 15 minutes before baking.

Mean while, preheat the oven to 350 F
5. Bake tart shells for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.

Let it cool in the mold for about 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle; and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Pipe or scoop lemon curd into shells.



* I didn’t think the crust would rise so I used a bit too much dough. Good thing all of my friends like crust. But next time I will definitely use less dough. About 1 ½ Tbsp or enough to cover the tart mold completely.

enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog