Jun 19, 2012

Espresso Fudge Cupcakes


Two days ago a friend of mine came to visit. I wanted to surprise her with some yummy treats, but didn’t have much time before she arrived, so I decided to make some cupcakes. I made the cupcakes in less than 40 minutes including the time of baking. However, I have to admit I used a store bought frosting. I have an excuse though; I didn’t have time, forgive me. I’ve never used store bought frosting, please believe me...
Anyways, the cupcakes are very delicious. They were not the light and fluffy kind; they were rich and dense, almost had the texture of pound cake, without the large amount of butter.

Espresso Fudge Cupcakes
Recipe adapted from Ming Makes Cupcakes
Ingredients:
1 C all-purpose flour
½ C cocoa powder (I used 1/3 C)
2 tsp espresso powder
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 C granulated sugar (I used 2/3 C)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, at room temperature and slightly beaten
¾ C milk
½ C chocolate chips (I didn’t add them)
(I also added a splash of chocolate liqueur because booze makes everything better)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. In a bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside

3. In another bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add in the beaten egg and vanilla and mix well.

4. Add milk and flour mixture alternately while mixing. Finally mix in the liqueur.

5. Pour batter into cupcake liners and bake for 15-18 minutes*

Let cool completely before frosting them.
* When baking cupcakes, you can usually tell they’re done if the edges start to turn light brown. However, that’s not the best way to check the cupcakes with darker colors, like chocolate or burnt sugar cupcakes. I have a way of checking those kinds of cupcakes; it works every single time!
* My dear friend who came to visit thought the cupcakes were a bit too sweet, even without the frosting. I thought they had the perfect sweetness. Next time I make them, I’ll definitely stick with 2/3 cup sugar and omit the chocolate chips. If you want chocolate chips in your cupcakes, I’d suggest reducing the amount of sugar to ½ cup.

enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog