Jun 25, 2012

Drunk Chocolate Cake with Drunk Frosting


Last night I went to a cheese party and each of us are supposed to bring any kind of cheese or food that contains cheese. The first thing that came to my mind was cheesecake, but at that time I only have a few hours and making a good cheesecake requires a long time to prepare the batter, baking the cake, letting it cool, and chilling it for hours. I ain’t got no time for that. Then my lovely friend Pearl suggested me to make some cream cheese frosting. So I made some chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting!
In fact, I made three kinds of chocolate cake that night because I had so much cake batter. I had to confess, I used a chocolate cake mix. I have an excuse though, my friend gave it to me as a present and I can’t give it away or throw it out; that’d be rude.
This time I played with the recipe I usually use and changed it a lot; and I’m really surprised and actually satisfied with it. The texture of the cupcakes are super soft and fluffy, which is the kind of cake I like.
I added Bailey’s Irish cream liqueur to both the cake batter and the frosting; it made the cake so moist and delicious!
Chocolate Cake
Ingredients:
1 (18.25oz) box chocolate cake mix
1 (3.4oz) package instant pudding mix
1 C milk; I used 2%, but any kind is fine
1 C freshly brewed coffee, cool to room temperature
½ C Bailey’s Irish cream liqueur
4 eggs, at room temperature
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. In a LARGE bowl, mix together cake mix and pudding mix; add in milk, coffee, and Irish cream. Beat with a hand held mixer or a stand mixer for about 30 seconds or until the mixture is incorporated. It’s better to use a mixer instead of a whisk; since you’ll get a large amount of cake batter, using a mixer will save you a lot of time.
3. Add in eggs, one at a time, and beat the batter on medium high speed for about 2 minutes.
4. Pour batter into cupcake liners or greased cupcake pans.
5. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. If you’re not using cupcake liners like me, an easy way to check if cupcakes are done is by looking at the sides of the cupcakes; you know they’re done when the sides start to pull away from the pan. Let cool completely before frosting them


Bailey’s Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients:
1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened
¼ C (½ stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ C powdered sugar
2 Tbsp Bailey’s Irish cream liqueur
Directions:
1. In a bowl, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth
2. Add in powdered sugar, ½ C at a time, until combined
3. Add in liqueur and mix well
4. Chill until needed
Just by adding a splash of Irish cream made the frosting ten times better, it’s unbelievable.
I made 24 cupcakes and still have a lot of batter left, so I went ahead and made two 9-inch cakes and a 8”x5” cake
For the 9-inch cakes, I drop dollops of peanut butter all over the batter; and then bake them for 18 minutes at 350F

For the 8”x5” cake, I first put a few large spoonful of cake batter at the bottom of the pan, and then put some banana slices over it; and then bake it for about 25 minutes.

I hate to say this, but this chocolate cake is amazing! Especially the banana ones; I ate half of it myself, and I’m not usually a cake person. In fact, I don’t like cakes, so I’m really surprise by how much I enjoy this cake.

Meet the lovely Pearl

rainbow nails! yup we went to the pride parade.

enjoy 

1 comment:

  1. I was really curious about the title of the post. Although even if you used chocolate mix it's alright. But god this looks amazing. I can't wait to try this one out.

    Regards,
    Haley McAdams
    Texas Food Handlers

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog