Jun 16, 2012

Black Bean Chocolate Chili Cookies


I’ve been craving for sweets for the past few weeks. Ok that’s a lie, I always crave for sweets. Anyways, I wanted something sweet and chocolatey, but have to watch my figure, you know, to impress those people out there stay healthy. I made something yummy and guilt free cookies. I found the recipe here.
Those cookies are sweetened with honey, and fat is substituted by black beans. So healthy I can’t believe it’d actually taste good.
Black Bean Chocolate Chili Cookies
Ingredients:
1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 Tbsp shortening
1/3 C cocoa powder
¼ tsp coarse sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1/3 C honey
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
¼ C ground oats/oat flour, if you don’t have oats in hand, all-purpose flour works fine
½ C dark chocolate, cut into chunks
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Mash black beans with a fork (because I don’t have a food processor) until smooth.

With a spatula, mix in shortening until blended.

Add in cocoa powder, salt and cayenne pepper until well mixed.

Stir in honey, and then vanilla and eggs, one at a time. At this point, you’ll get almost like a cake batter instead of cookie dough; it’s so runny I decided to add in some oat flour. (I ground up some oats)

Mix in chocolate chunk

3. Spoon batter onto baking sheet and slightly flatten the top with the back of the spoon as they barely spread while baking.

4. Sprinkle cookies with sea salt. Very important, don’t skip this step! Bake for 10-12 minutes

* To me the cookie batter itself isn’t too sweet so they definitely need the chocolate chunks or extra topping for the extra sweetness and flavor
* Don’t omit the sea salt, those cookies need the salty flavor and sea salt gives them a nice kick.
* I didn’t add dried cherries because I’m not a big fan of dried fruit in cookies.
* The original recipe is vegan, and eggs are substituted by chia seeds. However, I love eggs and cholesterols, so I decided to stick with eggs. The cookie “batter” become very runny due to the eggs, I added some ground oats/oat flour
My cookies looked different from the ones from My New Roots for some reason. I’m guessing it’s the eggs or the flour I added that gave the cookie a “matte” look.
The texture of the cookies is kind in between a chewy cookie and mochi; very interesting. If you’re looking for a healthy low-calorie treat, this is it.
enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog