May 24, 2012

Egg Tart II

I was surprised by how easy it was to make egg tarts, so I made them again last week, but I changed the recipe I used last time because honestly I don’t like weighing ingredients, even though that’s the “right way” to get it precise; but then I realized no one I know owns a scale! I was really amazed by how good they turned out!
Egg Tarts
Ingredients:
Tart Dough, recipe followed
½ C granulated sugar
¾ C water
4 eggs
dash of vanilla
1 C evaporated milk
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. In a sauce pan, mix together sugar and water and cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil and sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
3. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla and milk until mixture is well blended. When the sugar water has cooled down, whisk it into the egg mixture.
4. Pour custard filling into the mold to about ¾ full.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, I baked mine for 22 minutes
Tart Dough
Ingredients:
2/3 C powdered sugar
pinch of salt
3 C all-purpose flour
1 C unsalted butter, cold and diced
1 egg, slightly beaten
dash of vanilla extract
Directions:
1. In a big bowl, sift together powdered sugar, salt, and flour. Throw in diced butter and mash them with a fork
until it has the texture of wet sand. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract until the mixture just comes together to form a dough.
Don’t over mix it, or it will become too tough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for at least an hour.
2. Before making the custard filling, take out the dough from the fridge and divide it into 12 pieces and press each piece into a tart mold. Put them back into the fridge while you make the filling.
* The crust I made this time is more buttery compare to the one I made last time; the crust I made last time was crumbly and sweeter and I personally liked it better. However, if you prefer the buttery texture, this is the recipe for you.

I had some left over custard filling so I made some custard pudding by baking them for about 15 minutes at 350F
so silky and smoooooth....
enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog