Last night I made some cake, cupcakes and peanut butter frosting, and then make them into cake balls!
two 8-inch chocolate cakes, recipe followed
½ - 1 C peanut butter frosting, recipe followed
1 (6.8 oz) dark chocolate bar, broken into peices
1 tsp Shortening
1. Crumble the cake right after it’s out of the oven
4. In a double boiler, melt together chocolate and shortening until blended and smooth.
* I usually put them in the freezer for 15-30 minutes, or until they don’t stick to each other when touching. If I’m not using them right away, I store them in a plastic bags after they’ve been frozen on a cookie sheet.
** When the chocolate is firm, store in airtight container. If the weather is hot, place them in the fridge; just make sure you leave them out for 5 minutes before serving.
I used devil’s food cake mix and made two 8-inch cakes and 4 cupcakes
Devil’s Food Cake
1 box devils’ food cake mix
1 stick butter, melted
1 C freshly brewed coffee
1 tsp espresso powder
½ C evaporated milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Mix coffee, espresso powder, milk, eggs, and vanilla together in a bowl, set aside
2. Put cake mix in a large bowl, add in butter and the wet ingredients; beat batter with an electric mixture for about 2 minutes, 5 minutes if using a whisk
3. Pour batter into cake or cupcake pans and baked as directed
Peanut Butter Frosting
1 ¼ C crunchy peanut butter*
1 stick margarine, softened
1 ½ C powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 Tbsp heavy cream
1. In a bowl, cream together peanut butter and margarine until smooth
2. Add in powdered sugar, ½ C at a time, until blended. Mix in salt and vanilla
3. Add in heavy cream, 1 Tbsp at a time, until you get the consistency of frosting; I used 2 Tbsp and it was perfect.
* If you’re making this frosting for a cake or cupcakes, go for creamy peanut butter, but since I want the crunchy texture when biting into cake balls, I went for the crunchy peanut butter
These cake balls are so rich and almost taste like a truffles; definitely one of my favorite cake balls
Now go ahead and make some for your best friends!
or best friend cupcakes?