Apr 4, 2012

ABC Muffins

Last night I was in my baking mood, as always, and made some chocolate lava cakes and some super delicious muffins that are actually pretty good for you.
I used the same chocolate lava cake recipe as the previous times, except I ran out of cocoa powder and use some Nesquik to substitute it. I also use half stick of butter and ¼C shortening instead of 1 stick of butter. Surprisingly my friends thought they tasted better this time. I’ll keep experimenting with it until I get the perfect recipe, so bare with me, dudes.

Now, the muffins. Let me tell you about those muffins. I’ve got a lot of ripe bananas that are turning brown and some ripe avocado that also needed to be used up, so I decided to make some avocado banana muffins! It might sound weird, but trust me, it’s out of this world! You can’t taste the avocado at all; and it makes the muffins so moist. Avocado’s creamy consistency makes a great substitution for butter.
I also made some streusel topping for those muffins to give it a nice kick; it totally brings them to the next level.
Avocado Banana Crumb Muffins
Recipe makes about 12 muffins
Ingredients:
1 ½ C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp salt
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 ripe avocado, mashed
¼ C granulated sugar
½ C brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
streusel topping; recipe below
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 475 F. Brush top of the muffin pan with oil, cooking spray also works fine. This stop muffins from sticking to the surface when baking.
2. In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, set aside.
3. In another bowl, beat banana, avocado, and both sugar together until smooth, add in the egg and vanilla; mix well
4. Fold in the dry ingredients and make sure you don’t over mix.
5. Pour batter into muffin tins and sprinkle some streusel topping over the top.
it might not look pleasant now, but don't judge a muffin by it's color, k?
now cover the green goo up
Bake for 20-22 minutes. I baked mine for 20 minutes.
Weeeeee! Yummy in my tummy!
Streusel Topping:
Recipe adapted from Sunday Nite Dinner
Ingredients:
½ C all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ C firmly packed light brown sugar
4 Tbsp (½ stick) unsalted butter, cubed and softened
Directions:
Stir together the flour, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Add the butter pieces and combine the mixture with a fork or tip of your fingers until the topping resembles coarse crumbs.

* This recipe makes a lot; enough for 24 muffins. I actually made this a week ago with some cinnamon roll muffins, which I shall write about soon.
enjoy 

2 comments:

  1. These avocado banana crumb muffins look delicious, seem quite easy to do yum yum!!

    And the mention of your lava cakes makes me even more hungry!! will try them one day and let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are in deed delicious and easy to make, plus it's fat free and healthy for you, kind of, haha
      and definitely let me know how the lava cake turns out for you :)

      Delete

Search This Blog