Mar 28, 2012

Strawberry Buttermilk Cake

I’m always down to bake.
I bake when I’m bored
I bake when I’m happy
I bake when I’m sad
I bake when I’m upset
I bake when I’m stressed
And I bake when I feel like it

I made strawberry buttermilk cake just now. It kept me entertained, it made me happy, and it took away my stress.
This cake was so delicious, probably one of my favorite cakes I’ve ever had. And it’s got fruit in it, it’s good for you… kind of.

Anyways, I got the recipe from smitten kitchen; one of my favorite bloggers. I substitute the raspberry with strawberries, but you can use any fruit really, be creative, go crazy. Actually, go make it now, if you’re bored and are craving for something sweet and yummy.
Strawberry Buttermilk Cake
Recipe adapted from smitten kitchen
Ingredients:
2 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ C (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/3 C sugar + 3 Tbsp granulated sugar, divided (I used 1 ¼ C sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon zest
2 eggs
1 C buttermilk, shaken
2 C sliced strawberries
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Butter cake pan
2. In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
3. In another bowl, beat butter until soft and creamy, about 30 seconds. Add in 1 ¼ C sugar, beat until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and lemon zest.
Add in eggs, one at a time, mix well.
4. Add in 1/3 of the flour mixture, 1/3 of the buttermilk, mix until just combined. Add in half of the flour mixture; half of the buttermilk, mix again. Then add in the rest of the flour mixture and buttermilk.
5. Pour batter into pans, scatter strawberry slices on top and sprinkle 3 Tbsp sugar on top
6. Bake cakes for 20-25 minutes, or until cake starts to pull aside from the pan. Mine took 22 minutes.
7. Let cake rest for about ten minutes in the pan, and then turn it out and serve
* I doubled the recipe and made two 8-inch cakes; one round, one square
* I omitted the 3 Tbsp sugar for sprinkling on the top of the cake because I forgot about it.
* Lemon zest is optional but personally I think adding it makes a huge difference.
* When adding in flour mixture and buttermilk, try not to over mix the batter. For the first two times, mix the batter until the flour almost disappear; there’s no need to mix until it’s completely incorporated
* I highly recommend serving this cake with a giant scoop of vanilla ice cream.

This cake was a big hit, everyone loved it. I love feeding people, it makes me happy.
enjoy 

3 comments:

  1. This strawberry- buttermilk cake looks so amazing and delicious!! I'm not surprised at all that it's a big hit with everyone, it sure is a big hit with me :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I'm really curious now, who do you normally sharing all your good food with? You baked 2 cakes there, when I bake, I try to do a small size coz I'm quite concern with my weights, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessie, I'm a student and i live in a dorm so I usually just give them out to my friends so i don't eat them all :D

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog