Mar 25, 2012

Sour Cream Cheesecake

I made cheesecake again last night.
I’ve been using this recipe for many years, and I thought I could never find a better one, but when I tried Alton Brown’s Sour Cream Cheesecake recipe this time, I changed my mind. I think I’ve found my favorite cheesecake recipe.
舊的不去新的不來?

Almond Crust
Ingredients:
3 C almond flour/ ground almond/ almond meal
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
½ C (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Mix almond flour, sugar, and salt together with a fork. Add in softened butter and mash with fork to blend until it forms a “dough”. Press in pans/mold
3. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until it smells “nutty” and starts to pull away from the pan. Let cool.
Sour Cream Cheesecake
recipe slightly adapted from Alton Brown
Ingredients:
1 ¼ C sour cream
20 oz (3 ½ 8-ounce-package) cream cheese, softened
1 C sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 whole eggs
3 egg yolks
1/3C heavy cream
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 300F
2. Whisk sour cream in a bowl for about 10 seconds.
I used my orange spatula to beat it.
3. Mix in the cream cheese and sugar. I added the cream cheese a little at a time because I didn’t let it come to room temperature and adding it a little by little allow the dense cream cheese to incorporate with the soft sour cream.
After adding in all the cream cheese, add in sugar and mix until well blended.
4. In another bowl, combine vanilla extract, eggs, egg yolks, and heavy cream. Then SLOWLY pour it into the cream cheese mixture. If you dump in too much of it, the batter will become lumpy and you don’t want that to happen to your cheesecake.
5. Pour batter into the cooled crust. I made some plain cheesecake, some lemon cheesecake, and some strawberry swirl cheesecake.
With the lemon cheesecake, I simply added 1 Tbsp lemon juice and 1 tsp of lemon zest to half of the cheesecake batter.
For the strawberry swirl cheesecake, I made some super easy strawberry sauce (recipe below) and put dollops of it on top of the plain cheesecake.
Lower oven temperature to 250F and bake cheesecake in water bath for an hour.
The original recipe yielded a 9 x 3-inch cake pan and I made two 8-inch round cheesecakes and 9 muffin-size cheesecakes.
I baked the mini ones for about 25 minutes, and take them out of the oven while I baked the 8-inch cakes for about 35-40 minutes; then turn the oven off and let them sit in oven for another hour.
6. Chill for at least 6 hours or overnight.

* Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature; I talked about it in my previous cheesecake post.

I saw this post just now, and it made my day.
I miss Christmas, but I right now I need some sunshine.
enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog