Mar 9, 2012

New York Cheesecake

Don’t let your curiosity kill your cheesecake.

I love cheesecake. It’s actually one of the few cakes I actually enjoy. I love the creamy and smooth texture; though it’s very rich, it’s not too sweet or overwhelming. I’ve tried many different kinds of cheesecake; lemon cheesecake, mocha cheesecake, strawberry cheesecake, no bake cheesecake, chocolate cake, but I always come back to the plain cheesecake. I know I mention how much I love chocolate over 100 times, but for some reason, I like my cheesecake plain.
New York Cheesecake
Recipe slightly adapted from allrecipe
Ingredients:
20 digestive cookies, crushed
¼ C granulated sugar
½ stick unsalted butter, softened
pinch of salt
2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
¾ C granulated sugar (I use a little less than ¾ C, and it’s perfect)
¼ C milk
2 Tbsp heavy cream
2 eggs
½ C sour cream
½ Tbsp vanilla extract
1½ Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp lemon zest
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F, and place a pan filled with 1 inch water at the bottom of your oven
2. In your well-greased spring-form pan, mix together cookie crumbs, ¼ C sugar, salt, and then mix in the softened butter. Spread it and press it down with your hand, set aside
3. In a bowl, mix together cream cheese and ¾ C sugar with a wooden spoon until smooth
gradually add in milk and heavy cream and mix well
Add in eggs, one at a time and mix until well-combined.
Add in sour cream and vanilla, mix well; sift in the flour and then the lemon zest; mix well
4. Pour batter into the pan and bake for an hour. When time’s up, turn the oven off and let the cake sit in the oven for 3 hours without opening the oven door. And then chill in the fridge before serving. It tastes best when chilled overnight.

* There are few things to keep in mind of if you don’t want your cheesecake to crack:
1) Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature
2) Don’t open the oven while the cake is baking and even after it’s done baking. No matter how eager you are to eat it or check on it while it bakes, DON’T! You know what they say about curiosity killing the cat. When 60 minutes up, turn your oven off and walk away, seriously, just walk away.
3) Don’t over mix the batter, even if there’re lumps. There shouldn’t be lumps in the first place because it only happens if you don’t let all ingredients come to room temperature. The best way to mix a cheesecake batter is by using a wooden spoon or a spatula, leave your beater out of this, just keep it away from the cheesecake.
* I cut the original recipe in half because I didn’t have that many people to feed that night. This recipe makes one 8-inch cake
* I really like the crust so I used 20 cookies to make the base, but if you like a thin crust, use about 15 cookies
* Most cheesecake crust recipe calls for melted butter, but I think softened butter works just fine; plus I won’t have to wash the pan or an extra bowl.
* When adding the liquid (milk, cream, egg) make sure you add it slowly, and a little but at a time. If you dump it all in, you’ll get a lumpy batter, and no one likes a lumpy batter.

I also made some strawberry sauce to go with the cheesecake. So yummy!
Strawberry Sauce
Ingredients:
1 pint fresh strawberries, rinsed and stemmed
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
Directions:
1. Cut strawberries into small chunks, set 1/3 aside while cooking the rest
2. In a saucepan, mix together the 2/3 of the strawberries, sugar, and lemon zest. Cook over medium heat until thickens, about 5 minutes.
3. Add in the fresh strawberries and cook for 30 seconds
4. Serve with cheesecake.
* I didn’t want to add too much sugar because I like the tangy taste, but you can add as much or as little as you want, it doesn’t really affect the texture too much.
* Some people like to puree the sauce after cooking it, I personally like biting into chunks of strawberries. If you like smooth strawberry sauce, puree it in a blender.
* I like making the sauce right before serving the cheesecake because I love the combination of the warm strawberries and the chilled cheesecake.
Mmm, yummy in my tummy!
enjoy 

2 comments:

  1. while reading this, im thinking of Mrs.Eason's cheesecake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah i miss her cheesecake so much..

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog