Mar 17, 2012

Irish Soda Bread

I made Irish soda bread, just now. And my kitchen smells like heaven. I’m on my computer right now, trying really hard not to go into the kitchen so I don’t eat the whole bread.
This bread is so easy to make, it requires almost no kneading and it doesn’t need to raise either. Most importantly, it tastes amazing. ‘nough talking, Talk doesn’t fill the stomach.
Irish Soda Bread
Recipe adapted from Barefoot Contessa
Ingredients:
4 C all-purpose flour, plus extra for kneading
4 Tbsp granulated sugar (I used 3 Tbsp)
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp salt
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter
1 ¾ C cold buttermilk, shaken
1 egg
1 tsp grated orange zest (I didn’t add it because I didn’t have any on hand)
1 C dried currants (I also omitted this)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper
2. In a bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt, set aside.
3. Cut cold butter into cubes
mix into flour mixture
I mix them with my fingertips. Try not to mix it for too long, you don’t want to soften the butter.
4. In another bowl (I used measuring cup) mix together buttermilk and egg.
Add it to the flour mixture all at once
mix with a fork or with your hand until the dough almost comes together
Dump it out onto a floured board and knead until it forms a ball; it only takes about 20 seconds.
5. Place the bread dough on the prepared sheet pan
lightly cut an X into the top of the bread with a knife
Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until you get a hollow sound when tapping on the bottom of the bread. Mine took exactly 45 minutes.
The best way to eat this bread is enjoy it with butter while it’s still warm.

“A man is like the bagpipes, he never makes a noise until his belly is full.”
enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog