Mar 15, 2012

Ice Cream I: Peanut butter sandwich cookie ice cream

I think I started many post with “I love…” but I LOVE ice cream, so much. I love it so much that I eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I have another stomach for ice cream, and that stomach is always craving for more ice cream. I probably spend most of my money buying baking supplies and ice cream. Oh did I mention I love ice cream?
I’ve never made ice cream before because I know how much cream, egg yolks, and sugar it contains. If I make ice cream I know I’d feel super guilty eating it. I mean I feel guilty eating the whole tub of ice cream everyday but sometimes I just have to pretend I don’t see the nutrition info.
Last week I stumbled upon this recipe and the ice cream recipe they use only requires TWO ingredients! TWO! So I figured I’ve got to give it a try.
So the first time I made it, I made some vanilla ice cream with peanut butter sandwich cookie chunks and chocolate chunks. It was amazing!

Peanut butter sandwich cookie and chocolate chunk ice cream
(Man I gotta think of a better name for it…)
Ingredients:
2 C heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 (14oz.) can sweeten condensed milk
Peanut butter sandwich cookies, broken into chunks
(chocolate chunks) – see description below
Directions:
1. Put a large mixing bowl in the freezer for about 15 minutes; it helps the cream whip easier and faster.
while waiting, chop cookies and chocolate into chunks
2. In another bowl mix together condensed milk and sandwich cookie chunks, set aside.
3. When the large mixing bowl is nice and cold, take it out of the freezer and add in heavy cream and vanilla extract, beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Take 1/3 of the whipped cream and mix into the condensed milk mixture.
You don’t have to be too careful. Don’t worry about deflating the whipped cream because at this point you’re trying to thin out the condensed milk mixture. When mixture is well combined, fold in half of the remaining whipped cream; mix well, and then fold in the rest.
5. Pour ice cream into containers. And now here comes the hardest part, wait for the ice cream to freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.

I used be a huge fan of brand of ice cream that adds tons of topping and goodies into the ice cream. But after eating a tub each day for about two years, I realize the ice cream it self isn’t actually good; it’s the combination of different toppings that makes it good. The quality of the ice cream is not great; in fact you can’t taste the ice cream at all due to the sweet and strong taste of the toppings. Don’t get me wrong, I still eat it sometimes when I crave for sweets; but as a picky ice cream eater, I’ve had better ice cream with cheaper price that actually tastes better, and way less calories. I’ve been brainstorming with different combination of ice cream toppings and I’ve been inspired by their ice cream flavors. They have countless ice cream flavors and topping combination; and many of them contains chocolate chunks. I never liked the chocolate chunks in their ice cream and I used to think it’s because of the poor quality of the chocolate they use. But after making those peanut butter sandwich cookie and chocolate chunk ice cream, I realize chocolate looses its taste when it’s frozen; so next time I’ll try adding dollops of chocolate fudge topping instead. Ooooo or Nutella!

Next time I’d like to try mixing banana puree to the ice cream batter with roasted walnut and chocolate fudge topping.
enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog