Mar 16, 2012

Homemade Oreo without the fatty filling

… So I guess that leaves us to just the cocoa cookies
but don’t you worry, I’ll turn them into something delicious, trust me.

I was in the mood for baking today, (when am I not) and made some cookies. I’ve always wanted to make homemade Oreos but never got to. So I’ve found some recipe and decided to give Baking BitesHomemade Oreo Cookies a try.

Cocoa cookies
Ingredients:
2 C all-purpose flour
½ C unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ C cornstarch
½ tsp salt
1 C + 2 Tbsp sugar (I used 1 C)
½ C vegetable shortening or butter, I used ½ C (one stick) of butter
1/3 C water
½ tsp vanilla extract
(I also added 1 tsp espresso powder)
Directions:
1. In a bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt, set aside
2. In another bowl, beat softened butter
and sugar until light and fluffy.
I was stubborn and insisted on sticking to my wooden spoon and it took me 5 minutes to cream the butter and sugar.
3. Slowly drizzle in the water.
Make sure you add in a little water at a time, so the mixture doesn’t curdle. It took me eight times to add in all the water.
Then add in the vanilla extract and espresso powder, mix until well combined.
Do yourself a favor and don't be tempted to taste it because it's actually really good. I mean it's butter and sugar, how can it not be good.
4. Add in 1/3 of the flour mixture, mix until almost combined
add in half of the rest, mix until almost all the flour mixture is mixed in; and then add in the rest of the flour, mix until combined.
5. Divide cookie dough into two parts and roll them into logs and wrap them in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least two hours or over night.
6. When the dough is chilled, slice them into 1/8 to ¼ thick discs. Place them on baking sheet and bake in your 375F preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are firm.

* Whenever you’re making cookies, cakes, cupcakes, pancake, or basically everything other than yeast bread, you don’t want to over mix the dough/batter, especially after you add in the flour. If you over work flour, the dough/batter
becomes tough and doughy and no one likes a tough cookie.
* You don’t want the cookies to be thicker than ¼”, they won’t be crispy.
* I always add in a little espresso powder or ground cinnamon whenever I make something chocolatey, I really believe it brings out the chocolate flavor more.

If you want to make some Oreos you can get the filling recipe from here.

I made those cookies for another dessert I’m making later; I’ll keep it a secret for now. It’s a surprise, hehe.
enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog