Mar 18, 2012

Get 'em Drunk Chocolate Guinness Cake

Most people around me love drinking; and me, I’m not much of a drinker, but I love alcohol in my sweets. It's St. Patty’s day, so I’m making a cake inspired by Nigella Lawson’s Chocolate Guinness Cake. Oh and I’m a huge fan of Nigella; one because she’s a chocoholic like me, and two because she’s awesome.
Chocolate Guinness Cake
Recipe slightly adapted from Nigella Lawson
Cake:
Ingredients:
2 C all-purpose flour
2 ½ tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 C Guinness
1 stick + 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into chunks
¾ C unsweetened cocoa
1 C granulated sugar
½ C light brown sugar
¾ C sour cream
2 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Generously grease two 8-inch cake pan. The batter is enough to make two thin 8-inch cake and an 8-inch square pan.
2. In a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt, set aside
3. In a saucepan, add in Guinness and butter
heat until the butter’s melted; turn off heat. Whisk in cocoa and both sugar and mix until combined, set aside
4. In another bowl, whisk together sour cream, eggs, and vanilla until well combined
Slowly add in the butter-beer mixture and mix well
Make sure you let the butter-beer mixture cool a bit before you add it to the egg mixture so you don’t scramble the egg
5. Whisk in half of the flour mixture, mix until almost combined and then whisk in the rest.
6. Pour batter into cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes
or until the side of the cake starts to pull away from the pan
Let cool completely before you frost this baby.

Frosting:
Ingredients:
1 (8oz.) package cream cheese, at room temperature
1 ¼ C confectioners’ sugar (I used 1 C)
½ C heavy cream
(vanilla extract, coffee liqueur, green food coloring)
Directions:
1. In a bowl beat the cream cheese until soft and smooth
gradually sift in confectioners’ sugar and beat together until incorporated. Beat it good
2. Slowly drizzle in the heavy cream and whip until it makes a spreadable consistency. Whip it good
At this point, I also added a splash of vanilla extract, coffee liqueur
and four drops of green food coloring
3. Frost you cooled cake, and make sure you frost it good.
* This has the texture between frosting and icing. It’s not firm enough to frost the cake, but it’s also not runny enough to pour over the cake. You don’t have to try to be a smarty-pants and layer them like I did; you won’t end up with a pretty cake. Spreading the frosting on top of the cake is just fine.

Enjoy the cake with the rest of your Guinness.
If I don’t finish this cake today, I’ll make them into cake balls. By mixing the cake crumbs and the rest of the frosting, form them into calls, and then coat them with candy coating.
... Or maybe I’ll share with friends, maybe.
“A great friend is like a four leaf clover; hard to find and lucky to have”
enjoy 

2 comments:

  1. 小咪, this looks so yummy! I love any sweets or desserts which with alcohol in them lol!

    I'm sorry I haven't came to claim the award yet, simply couldn't decide who are the five bloggers I want to give the award to, it's so difficult to choose 5 people and leave others out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 阿咪, I still figure out how to take the award from you ,seems there is a problem for me to get the job done !

    Anyway ,thanks for the award!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog