I bake when I’m bored
I bake when I’m happy
I bake when I’m sad
I bake when I’m upset
I bake when I’m stressed
And I bake when I feel like it
I made strawberry buttermilk cake just now. It kept me entertained, it made me happy, and it took away my stress.
This cake was so delicious, probably one of my favorite cakes I’ve ever had. And it’s got fruit in it, it’s good for you… kind of.
Anyways, I got the recipe from smitten kitchen; one of my favorite bloggers. I substitute the raspberry with strawberries, but you can use any fruit really, be creative, go crazy. Actually, go make it now, if you’re bored and are craving for something sweet and yummy.
Recipe adapted from smitten kitchen
2 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ C (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/3 C sugar + 3 Tbsp granulated sugar, divided (I used 1 ¼ C sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon zest
1 C buttermilk, shaken
2 C sliced strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Butter cake pan
2. In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
* I omitted the 3 Tbsp sugar for sprinkling on the top of the cake because I forgot about it.
* Lemon zest is optional but personally I think adding it makes a huge difference.
* When adding in flour mixture and buttermilk, try not to over mix the batter. For the first two times, mix the batter until the flour almost disappear; there’s no need to mix until it’s completely incorporated
* I highly recommend serving this cake with a giant scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This cake was a big hit, everyone loved it. I love feeding people, it makes me happy.