Feb 5, 2012

Whole Cranberry Tart with Almond Crust


I’ve made cranberry tarts a couple times, maybe three. Both times I cooked the cranberries until they popped and then bake them. This time, I tried something different; I made whole cranberry tart with almond crust.
Whole Cranberry Tart
Ingredients:
3 C cranberries, washed and rinsed
2/3 C granulated sugar
¼ C apple cider
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground clove
1/3 C honey
zest of 1 lemon
Directions:
 
 
 
 1. In a saucepan, mix everything except for the cranberries
cook on medium heat until mixture starts to boil
 2. Add in cranberries and mix to get them covered with the syrup
 
3. Let mixture cool while making the crust

Almond Crust
Ingredients:
1 C all-purpose flour
¾ C almond flour/ground almond/almond meal
¼ C powdered sugar/confectioners’ sugar
½ tsp salt
1 stick cold butter, cubed
1-3 Tbsp cold water
Directions:
1. In a bowl, mix together flour, almond flour, sugar and salt.
Add in butter cubes and toss with a fork until all butter is covered with flour mixture.
2. Slowly add in cold water, one tablespoon at a time; toss with a fork and make sure the dough doesn’t get too wet.
3. Turn the mixture out onto a surface
and smear it with your palm to create thin layers of butter
 
 
this way you’ll get a flakey crust. Make sure you don’t over work it!
When you lightly squeeze the mixture it should come together to form a dough
 
4. Chill the dough in the fridge for at least 30 minutes
5. Roll it out and press into the tart pan.
I didn’t have a rolling pin then so I just press the dough out with a measuring cup
6. Chill for another 10-15 minutes
7. Preheat oven to 375F
8. Poke holes all over the dough with a fork 
bake the crust for about 10 minutes, or until the crust seems dry
9. Pour Cranberry filling into the pan
 
continue to bake for another 30 minutes
 
 
* I used 2 cups cranberry for the “cranberry puree” filling; and since I’m using whole cranberry this time I thought I would increase the amount to 3 cups. However, I think I’ll add even one more cup next time; so 4 cups cranberries y’all
enjoy 

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious ! Love the step by step photos ;) I love cranberries but haven't tried using fresh or frozen just the dried ones :P ;D

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog