Feb 18, 2012

Mocha Cupcakes with Espresso Buttercream Frosting

 
 
Those mocha cupcakes are one of the few cupcakes I’m willing to eat and actually enjoy eating. I’ve mentioned before that I’m not really a big fan of cupcakes or cakes, but these cupcakes, are going to blow your mind.
One of my closest friends has a sweet tooth like me; actually, she just eats everything I make, which makes me happy and I really appreciate it. I wanted to make her some treats and she loves coffee flavored everything so when I saw this mocha cupcake recipe from Brown Eyed Baker’s blog I immediately thought of her.

Mocha Cupcakes with Espresso Buttercream Frosting
Recipe adapted from the Brown Eyed Baker
Ingredients:
½ C strong brewed coffee
1½ teaspoons espresso powder
1 1/3 C all-purpose flour
1/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ C whole milk, I used evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ C (1 stick) butter, softened
½ C granulated sugar (I used ¼ C)
½ C light brown sugar
1 egg
Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F
2. Mix the espresso powder into the brewed coffee until dissolved; set aside to cool to room temperature.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside
4. In a cup, combine the milk, brewed coffee mixture and vanilla extract.
5. In another bowl, beat the butter and both sugars together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until combined. Slowly add the flour mixture, alternating with the coffee mixture, ending with the flour mixture.
6. Pour cupcake batter into the cupcake pan. Baking for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting cupcakes.

And then there’s the best frosting I’ve ever had, well except for cream cheese frosting… so I guess the second best frosting I’ve ever had. Espresso buttercream frosting!

 
Espresso Buttercream Frosting
Ingredients:
1 C (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 ½ C powdered sugar (I used 2 cups)
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ tsp espresso powder (I used 2 tsp and I think it’s perfect)
Directions:
1. Mix the espresso powder into the vanilla until dissolved; set aside
2. Using a mixer, beat butter on medium speed until it’s softened and smooth, about 1 minute. Add in powdered sugar a little at a time, while beating on low; wait until sugar is mostly incorporated before adding in more. Once all the powdered sugar has been added, beat on high and whip until it’s light and fluffy, about a minute or two. Add the espresso and vanilla mixture and continue to mix until it is completely incorporated
3. Spread or pipe on your favorite cake or cupcakes. Or just eat it with a spoon.
I break a mini cupcake into little chunks, and bake it on a cookie sheet for about 3 minutes until it's crispy, and then sprinkle it on top of the cupcakes!
 
enjoy 



1 comment:

Search This Blog