Feb 18, 2012

Chocolate Truffles ♥

 
I love chocolate truffles, love them. They’re my favorite chocolate dessert of all time.
To me, they are the ultimate “comfort food” and the ultimate treat that can calms me down. Forget love, I’d rather fall in chocolate.
As weird as it sounds, I’ve actually never made truffles before; I never buy them for myself, either. So the only time I get to eat truffles is when my friends send me some. This is my third year in college and since I graduated from high school, my two dearest friends and I do this thing, where we send each other gifts on valentine’s day. We never talked about it before, but we all just started doing this since we graduated and parted. 默契?
I guess to me chocolate is something you give people to show them your love, instead of buying it for yourself. Man am I corny. Ok I’ll stop.
Anyways, I finally got to make truffles a few days ago when a dear friend of mine asked me to help her make some chocolate truffle for you know what day. I didn’t try anything after we made them because once I started I will finish it. I literally had to chew gum while making it so I don’t stuff my face with it.

 
Dark Chocolate Truffles
Ingredients:
4 ounces of dark chocolate, chopped into pieces (again try using good quality chocolate bar)
¼ C heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:
1. In a small saucepan, bring heavy cream to a simmer, pour it over ¾ of the chocolate; let it sit for 5 seconds. Add in the remaining chocolate and let it sit for another 5 second; add in vanilla extract and stir to combine until smooth.
2. Place chocolate in the fridge and chill it for 15-20 minutes or until it hardens; but should still be “scoopable” I didn’t have the patience, so I put it in the freezer for 10 minutes and it was perfect.
3. Use two spoons to scoop and shape the chocolate into balls and roll them in cocoa powder
(We also roll some in crushed pistachios)
Cinnamon Chocolate Truffles
Ingredients:
4 ounces of dark chocolate, chopped into pieces (again try using good quality chocolate bar)
¼ C heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
crushed graham crackers
ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
Directions:
1. In a small saucepan, bring heavy cream to a simmer, pour it over ¾ of the chocolate; let it sit for 5 seconds. Add in the remaining chocolate and let it sit for another 5 second; add in vanilla extract and ¼ tsp ground cinnamon and stir to combine until smooth.
 
2. Place chocolate in the fridge and chill it for 15-20 minutes or until it hardens
3. In a bowl or a plate, mix together graham crackers and ½ tsp ground cinnamon
 
 
4. Use two spoons to scoop and shape the chocolate into balls and roll them in graham cracker crumbs
 
* I chose dark chocolate because I thought milk might be too sweet and they turn out perfect. It’d probably be too sweet if we used milk chocolate.
* If the chocolate doesn’t melt completely, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time until it’s melted and smooth.
* Variation:
- original chocolate truffles rolled in roasted coconut flakes
- original chocolate truffles rolled in crushed pretzel
- add orange zest and a few drops of orange extract to the chocolate dipped in chocolate and place a small piece of orange zest on top
- add a few drops of mint extract to the chocolate dipped in chocolate
- add some espresso powder to the chocolate and dip them in chocolate
- place a whole roasted hazelnut inside the truffle and roll the truffles in finely chopped roasted hazelnuts
- mix some bacon bits into the chocolate truffle, and dip them in chocolate again. Trust me, chocolate and bacons are friends. On Tuesday I help my other friend make some chocolate covered bacon for her valentine and they’re so surprisingly good!
Oh and feel free to add some booze to the truffles, it gives them a nice kick!

The possibility is endless, be creative!

enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog