Jan 27, 2012

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

I’ve always been curious about pineapple upside down cake. It looks beautiful but for some reason it just doesn’t look appetizing to me. I’ve never tasted one, or even seen one, except for the pictures I saw on food websites or people’s blog. When I was talking to my sister the other day, the subject came up; and she told me she’d tried the cake and it was surprisingly good. Like my sister, I’m not too picky when it comes to savory food; however, when it comes to sweets and dessert, I am pretty picky and can usually taste the good and the bad. Anyways, the point is my sister and I have pretty similar taste when it comes to sweets, so when she told me about this cake, I decided to give it a try.

Fabulous.

Just fabulous. For those who don’t care much for pineapple, you’ll be surprise about how good this is.

I looked at many recipes to get the basic idea on how this cake is made and changed some of the ingredients and the amount of the sugar and butter.


Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Ingredients:
3 Tbsp Margarine
½ C packed brown sugar, I used dark brown sugar
4 HUGE slices pineapple, I used the canned pineapple slices
¼ C shortening, I ran out of butter and margarine, and shortening worked fine
¾ C granulated sugar
½ tsp salt
½ C evaporated milk
¼ C pineapple juice from the can
1 banana, mashed
1 1/3 C all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:
1. Heat the oven to 350F, and melt the margarine in an 8-inch glass pan
2. Sprinkle brown sugar over margarine, and place the pineapple slices on top; set aside
3. In a bowl, cream together shortening, sugar, and salt. There’s really no need to beat it like crazy since shortening isn’t like butter, you’re not trying to beat air into it.
4. Gradually add in the milk, pineapple juice, and mashed banana
5. In another bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Then add flour mixture and vanilla extract into the cake batter; don’t over mix it.
6. Pour cake batter over the pineapple slices.
Bake the cake for 35 – 40 minutes, or until cake starts to pull away from the sides of the pan. 
I baked mine for 37 minutes
7. Turn the cake out while it is still hot; this way you can get the pineapple slices out
8. Dig in while it’s still warm, y’all. 
* Whenever I see the word "vegan" or "eggless" in a recipe, I normally just skip that recipe because I do believe that eggs is one of the key ingredients to all baked goods, especially cakes and cookies. However, I forgot to buy eggs and used banana to substitute the egg. But then taste of banana actually adds so much flavor to the cake. I absolutely love it! I just don't want to admit it.
* People usually put pineapple slices and maraschino cherries at the bottom of the pan, but I’m not a fan of canned cherries. You can put some cherries in if you like
* This cake taste great with vanilla ice cream by the way. But again, what doesn’t tastes great with vanilla ice cream
enjoy ♥

2 comments:

Search This Blog