Jan 18, 2012

French Bread Rolls



These days I’ve been in the mood for making bread and I decided to make some bread rolls couple days ago. I’m pretty happy with the result; it turned out better than I expected :D

This is where I got the amount of the ingredients

French Bread Rolls
Ingredients:
2 C warm water
4 C bread flour
1 Tbsp active yeast
2 tsp salt (a friend of mine suggested to add a little less salt next time)
Directions:
1. Sift all flour into a bowl, put in salt, and yeast on the other side of the bowl
2. Add in 1 ½ C water first, mix the dough with your hand (or with a fork if you like) If the dough is too dry add in the rest of the water (I added all because the heater makes the kitchen very dry)
3. Knead the dough in the bowl until it doesn’t stick to the side of the bowl; cover with damp towel and let the dough rest for about five minutes.
4. Dump the dough onto a floured surface and knead until it’s smooth and elastic. I kneaded mine for about 30 minutes because I did it by hand. (the dough is ready when the dough doesn’t break right away when stretches)
5. Put the dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover with damp towel and let it rest for an hour at room temperature. If the weather is cold (winter time) you can put it in the oven along with a cup of hot water next to it.
6. Punch the dough to get the gas out and turn it out onto the table. Divide the dough into three parts and shape them. (I shaped mine into little balls that are the size of a baseball!)
7. Cover with damp cloth and let rest at room temperature for another hour. Preheat oven to 450 F
8. When the dough is done rising, bake them for 20-25 minutes (I baked mine for 22 minutes)


* Salt is what brings out the flavor in the bread and it also controls the yeast growth. However, don’t let the yeast touch the salt directly because the high concentrations of the salt will kill the yeast
* Because it’s freezing these days, I let my dough rest in the oven. I don’t really know Fahrenheit so I set the temperature a little lower than “warm.” After an hour the dough did rise beautifully, but has a thin crust on the top; when I punch the dough, it was HOT! Good thing it didn’t kill the yeast though… next time I’ll lower the temperature and maybe it’ll turn out different.

熱呼呼 :目
enjoy ♥

1 comment:

  1. Cute little bread roll!I've bought a new mixer, planning to start learning to make bread in this year! Happy CHinese New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog