Jan 29, 2012

Cookies that Spice Up Your Life

I love spices.
I love spices in my coffee.
I love spices in my cakes.
I love spices in my cookies
And I love spices in my cookies

I’ve tried making many spiced cookies, and finally came up with my favorite ginger cookies.


Ginger cookies/Gingersnaps
recipe slightly adapted from allrecipe
Ingredients:
2 C all-purpose flour
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¾ C shortening
1 C granulated sugar
1 egg
¼ C molasses
¼ C granulated sugar + 2 tsp cinnamon
Directions:
1. In a bowl, mix together flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Set aside
2. In another bowl, beat together shortening and 1 C sugar until well blended.
Then beat in egg until well-incorporated; and then add in molasses, mix well.
3. Mix in half of the flour mixture until well blended, add the rest, mix well.
4. Put the dough in the fridge for at least an hour; or better if over night.
5. Preheat oven to 350F
6. Scoop cookie dough out form them into balls with two spoons
7. Bake them for 9-11 minutes.

Depends on the texture you like; 9 for soft and chewy cookies, 11 for snap in yo face cookies.


* I’m not sure if I’ve said this before, but when it comes to cookies and cakes, you never want to over mix the dough or batter; otherwise they will be tough. When making bread, on the other hand, you want to really work the dough; I’ll talk about it more in the future when I make bread
* By chilling the dough, they cookies won’t spread out into a flat disk when you bake them. However if you’re a gingersnap person and like your cookies crispy and snappy, you can pat the cookies down a bit after you make them into little balls.
* I also believe that by letting the dough sit in your fridge before you bake them intensify the spiciness. I put my dough in the fridge for 36 hours because I kind of forgot about them, and the cinnamon and ginger really gave the cookies a really nice kick. Just make sure they don’t leave them in the fridge for too long that they go bad. 餅乾麵團放越久 烤出來的餅乾味道越香越濃 (用英文解釋那麼多,中文一句話就解決, )
enjoy ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog