Jan 10, 2012

Cocoa Egg Yolk Cookies


Ok, so those cookies I made this morning did not turn out as I expected. The original egg yolk cookies part of my childhood memories. The texture of the cookies are very light and airy, and butter filling is usually piped between two cookies. For some reason the ones I made have the texture between a cake and a bread, not as airy as I wanted them to be. Oh well, they taste great and everyone loved them!

First whisk together egg and two egg yolks, salt, and powdered sugar
Cook mixture using double boiler and continue whisking
It's gonna feel like you're arm is about to break, but keep whisking, it's worth it I promise!
 Whisk until it's very thick. In the book it says to whisk until very thick, until the mixture does not move when you tilt the bowl. That's what I did, but I think that's why my cookies turn out denser than what they should be. Next time I make them I won't whisk them as much.
Sift flour and cocoa powder, and then add them into the egg yolk mixture. mix well
 Pipe batter onto the pan and bake. My batter is a lot drier and thicker than it should be so instead of piping them, I used two spoons to form little balls and drop them onto the pan.
Because my batter is drier I only had to bake them for 4 minutes
The original egg yolk cookies have a thin layer of butter filling between two cookies, but the cookies are also good by itself.

Cocoa Egg Yolk Cookies
Ingredients:
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 200C / 392F degrees
2. Whisk together egg, egg yolks, salt and powdered sugar
3. Cook the egg mixture with double boiler over simmering water until it's warm to touch
4. Beat on high speed until the mixture thickens, about 2-5 minutes
5. Sift in flour and cocoa powder and mix well using the folding method (make sure you don't over-mix)
6. Pipe batter onto the pan. (Leave some space in between the cookies because they do spread out when baking)
7. Sift some powder over them; bake on middle-upper rack for 6 minutes or until nothing stick to your finger when touching
8. Let cool completely before spreading the butter filling and "sandwiching them"

 
 

Butter Filling
Ingredients:
1 stick (113.5g) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 tsp salt
powdered sugar, optional
Directions:
1. Beat butter until soft and fluffy, add in salt and beat until salt dissolves.

* In my opinion, the butter filling does not need extra sugar because the cookies are sweet enough; plus these cookies are not meant to be extremely sweet.

These babies are perfect with coffee. I'll probably give them another try soon.
敬請期待!
enjoy ♥

1 comment:

Search This Blog