Jan 28, 2012

Brigadeiro


  

Brigadeiro, a kind of chocolate candy from Brazil, is one of my favorite sweets!
They look like truffles but the texture is like caramel. Truffles are made with cream and chocolate; these are made with condensed milk and cocoa powder. Although both amazing, they taste completely different.

I make this so often because it’s so good and so darn easy! It only require a few ingredients.

Brigadeiro
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp Butter
2 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
½ C cocoa powder
¼ C hot chocolate mix
Topping:
Toasted coconut flakes, crushed biscuits, cocoa powder
Directions:
1. In a saucepan, combine butter, condensed milk, cocoa powder, and hot chocolate mix.
Over medium low heat, bring mixture to boil, turn the heat to low and cook for 10-15 minutes.
 
I cooked mine for 15 minutes. You know it’s done when the mixture starts to pull away from the side when tilted.
When it’s done cooking, set aside and allow it to cool a bit.
2. When it’s cool enough to handle, form it into balls with two spoons and toss them around in cocoa powder, coconut flakes, crushed biscuits or whatever you like.

* I normally use regular condensed milk, but I’ve also tried the reduced fat and fat free ones. They all work, but the fat free condensed milk makes the final candy less chewy and they’re not as creamy.
* For the hot chocolate mix, I’ve tried using many brand; and this time I used Nesquik
* If you like chewier texture, cook the mixture longer, if not 12 minutes should do it.
* You can use anything you want to roll these puppies in. My favorite “topping” is crushed pretzels and coconut
* I usually like to chill them or even freeze them if you can’t wait, I also think they taste better cold. The chocolate inside never hardens, too because it’s made of condensed milk.

I ground some coffee beans and toasted them because I thought the combination of coffee and chocolate must be good. but I ended up burning them, so.... I never got to try it
 And then I toasted some sweetened coconut flakes under 350F for about 4-5 minutes
 
 
 They smell AMAZING! After rolling some chocolate, I still have some left over and decided eat them later with some lemon sorbet, yum!
 
 
 
 
 I baked some pie crust I made and froze for about 15 minutes under 350F. Break it down into chunks, baked them for another 5 minutes, crushed them again and sprinkled some cinnamon, sugar, and salt; mix, baked again for 5-10 minutes until they became crispy.
 
 I also rolled some in cocoa powder

 Of course I saved some for myself...
 I put them into little "shot glasses" to give out to people. I love those cups, they're just the cutest thing ever!
 
 
enjoy ♥

2 comments:

Search This Blog