Jan 20, 2012

Sweet Potato Bread I

I love bread. So much.
but not as much as I love making bread.

I’ve been making so much bread since I came back to New York in January.
Earlier this week I made sweet potato bread and burned it. I was so sad that I did not want to upload the picture or even write this post. However, I gave it another try today and it turned out great! so I thought it's okay to show my improvement :目

This is actually my third time of making this bread. The first time I made it, I was in Taiwan. That time the bread wasn’t as good because I was lazy and didn’t test the yeast before I added it to the dough; it turns out the yeast was expired a long time ago. The dough was kneaded well but since the bread did not rise at all due to the “un-fresh” yeast. The bread was tough and dense; it kind of has the texture of the sandwich bread people normally buy in the market.

However, the texture I was looking for is light, airy, and fluffy.

The second time I tried making this bread, I ended up burning it. It tasted okay, but not great; it was a bit too dry for me. It has a dark brown crust, but this bread is not supposed to have a crust.

First, mix together sweet potato, flour, egg, yeast, salt, honey, milk

Mix with a wooden spoon until the dough does not stick to the side of the bowl anymore. I always mix bread dough with my lil' paws because I like to feel it while kneading it.
Turn it out onto a FLOURED surface. I didn't, so it was sticking to my board big time.
Add the softened butter
 And knead until it's elastic. When you first add the butter to the dough, it's gonna seem like they don't like each other and won't come together, but keep kneading the dough, they will eventually become friends.
 When it's elastic, place in a lightly GREASED bowl. Again, I didn't and it stuck to the bowl, no big deal though. Put it in a warm place and let it rise.
 
 Punch the air out!
 Roll the dough out and fold it.
 
 
 Divide them into four parts and shape them.
 
 
 
 
yay! 

 let the dough rise again...
 and bake, make sure you don't burn the bread like I did!

The recipe I used is mainly based off of Carol’s Honey Pumpkin Toast recipe
Honey Sweet Potato Bread (Toast)
Ingredients:
150g Sweet Potato Puree
280g bread flour
1 egg, at room temperature
¾ tsp instant yeast
1/8 tsp salt
20g honey
30g milk
30g butter, softened
Directions:
1. Mix everything except for butter in a bowl with a wooden spoon (I used my hand) until the dough barely stick to the side of the bowl Dump the dough out to a floured surface
2. Add in the softened butter and knead the dough for about 45 minutes or until the dough is elastic and becomes very thin when stretched out
3. Form dough into a ball, place it in a lightly greased bowl, cover with damp towel and place in a warm place (or room temperature if your kitchen is hot.) Let the dough rise for 60 minutes or until it doubles in size.
4. Punch the dough down to get the air out, and then form it into a ball and cover with the towel and let it rest for 20 minutes.
5. Divide the dough into parts, or shape them however you like. Cover with a damp towel again and let it rise for another 60 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 410F
7. When the size of your dough increase again, bake it for 40 minutes

* This bread does not call for any sugar; the sweetness mainly comes from the honey
* When the bread first came out of the oven, you have to remove it from the pan immediately and let it cool on the wire rack.
* Next time I will lower the temperature, bake it for less time, divide dough into more and smaller parts.


我愛吃麵包,更愛做麵包!

enjoy ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog