Dec 7, 2011

Whole Lemon Cupcakes with Blueberry Whipped Cream Frosting

About a month ago I made those amazing super yummy delicious lemon cupcakes and I must say, they are my favorite cupcakes so far.
I like my cupcakes fluffy and soft; if you’re like me, this is the recipe for you. If you prefer the fat, dense and rich, this is the recipe for you.
I think people don’t take advantage of lemon zest like they should. The zest actually gives your baked goods more flavor and makes them look prettier, too. When I was about to zest some lemon peel, I had a crazy thought: why not use the whole lemon? So I removed the seeds and chopped the lemons up really fine before I add them to my cupcake batter. At first I was worried that the white part of the lemon peel might make the cakes bitter; but I actually enjoy the little bitterness it gives to my cupcakes.
Give it a try, you won’t regret it!
Whole Lemon Cupcakes
Ingredients:
¼ C canola oil
¾ C sugar + ¼ C sugar, separated
1 lemon
2 eggs
½ C soymilk (you can use any kind of milk)
¼ C yogurt
1 ½ C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 350F
2. In a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside
3. Cut the lemon in half, remove the seeds, squeeze out all the juice and then chop the heck out of the remaining lemon. Yeah, really, the peel too; you want the entire lemon in your cupcakes!
4. Add ¼ cup of sugar to the lemon, mix well and set aside.
5. In ANOTHER bowl, whisk together oil and ¾ C sugar; mix until well-combined
6. Add in yogurt, mix and then add in eggs, one at a time; mix well.
7. Add the lemon mixture into the oil mixture, mix!
8. Add in half of the flour mixture, mix; add in half of the milk, mix. Add in rest of the flour mixture and the rest of the milk; mix until well-combined. Make sure you don’t over mix the batter!
9. Pour batter halfway up the cupcake pan, bake for 20-25 minutes. I baked mine for 22 minutes.
I made some blueberry whipped cream frosting to go with those puppies.
Blueberry Whipped Cream Frosting:
Ingredients:
1 C heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
¼ C blueberry preserve
Directions:
1. Put a bowl in the freezer for about 15 minutes
2. In the cold bowl, whip together cream, sugar, and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form
3. Fold in the blueberry preserve
4. Pipe it on yo cupcakes!
enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog