Dec 7, 2011

Rich Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

I ordered two recipe books a while ago and finally got them in the mail last week! Weee! So excited! I have been having a hard time deciding what to make from Baking with Julia because all the recipes look absolutely amazing!
And then I remember I have tons of lemons sitting in my shopping bag waiting for me to use them, so I decided to make some lemon cupcakes using the Lemon Loaf Cake recipe. And let me tell you, they. are. heavenly.
Whenever I found a cake recipe, I always end up making cupcakes because that way everyone gets his/her own cake. Don’t get me wrong, I love sharing my food, but there’s just something about having “your own cake.”
Like what the description says, the texture of the cake is that of “a classic pound cake, moist, firm, and tightly knit.” There isn’t as much as butter as a pound cake recipe calls for, however, it does contain heavy cream.
Anyways, here’s the recipe:
Lemon Loaf Cake
From Baking with Julia, (Pg 252)
Ingredients:
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/3 C sugar
pinch of salt
grated zest of 3 large lemons
1 ¾ C cake flour*
½ tsp baking powder
½ C heavy cream, at room temperature
5 ½ Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
Directions:
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat your oven to 350F
2. Butter your cake pan or your cupcake pan. (make sure you butter them well, or they WILL stick)
3. In a bowl, sift together flour and baking powder, set aside.
4. Whisk together the eggs, sugar, and salt until foamy and well blended. (You don’t want to beat them like you normally would in a cake recipe; whisk them until they are combined)
5. Mix in lemon zest. (I used 2 Tbsp because I want my cupcakes to have the intense lemon flavor)
6. Add in 1/3 of the flour mixture, “mixing lightly, there’s no need to beat.” Add in the rest of the flour in two more additions and whisk until everything is well-combined.
7. Whisk the heavy cream into the mixture.
8. Switch to a rubber spatula and gently and quickly hold in the melted butter.
9. Pour the batter half way up the cupcake pan and bake for 16-18 minutes. (I baked mine for 17 minutes)
* If you don’t have cake flour in hand like me, measure out 1 ¾ C all-purpose flour and then take out 2 Tbsp of it.
* Frosting isn’t needed because it has the texture and the taste of a pound cake; but I put lemon cream cheese frosting on those babies because, well, frosting makes everything better.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened (I used low-fat)
¼ C (½ stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ C confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 Tbsp lemon zest
Directions:
1. Beat cream cheese and butter together until well blended.
2. Mix in sugar, ½ cup at a time. (Make sure you don’t dump in all the sugar, or your kitchen will end up being covered by cloud of sugar)
3. Add in lemon zest and mix well.
4. Frost those babies! (if you want to make them look all fancy pantsy, sprinkle some lemon zest on the top and maybe dust them with some confectioner sugar)
enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog