Dec 19, 2011

Hot Pot Night Dessert I: Cranberry Tart


Yesterday I was invited to this hot pot party and I wanted to bake something for dessert. So I decided to make some cream puffs and I also wanted to give those cranberry tarts another try.
Last time I made it, I gave them out to my friends and had them try them and some of them thought they were a little too tart and sour. So I changed the recipe around a little.
Cranberry Tart II
Ingredients:
2 C cranberries, washed and rinsed
2 Tbsp apple cider
¼ C orange juice (please use real orange juice!)
1 cinnamon stick
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp orange zest
1 tsp lemon zest
2/3 C sugar
1 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp butter
Directions:
1. Put cranberries, apple cider, orange juice, cinnamon stick, ginger, nutmeg, orange and lemon zest in a saucepan.
(I also put in 1/4 of the orange to add more flavor)
Over medium heat, bring mixture to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low, and then cook for another minute, or until most of the cranberries are popped.
3. Add in sugar and flour and cook for another minute or until the mixture thickens.
4. Remove the pan from heat and stir in butter, set aside and let cool while you prepare the tart crust.
I actually used another recipe this time.
I used a pie crust recipe instead.
Pie crust
Ingredients:
2 ½ C flour
¼ tsp salt
½ C shortening, chilled
½ C butter, chilled
3-4 Tbsp ice cold water
Directions:
1. In a bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Put into the freezer
Yup, in the freezer
2. Cut the butter and shortening into small pieces
put them in the freezer for about 15 minutes
3. After all your ingredients has been chilled, cut the butter and shortening into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or I just used a fork. Try to work the dough as little as possible; you don’t want to over mix it!
4. When the mixture has the texture of wet sand, sprinkle in 2 Tbsp of cold water and toss the mixture around with the fork.
If the mixture is still too crumbly, sprinkle in more water; just make sure you don’t add in too much water at a time.
The way I test my pie dough is to put some dough in your hand and slightly squeeze it; if the dough comes together and holds its shape, you know it’s done!
5. Put the pie dough into the fridge (not freezer) and let it chillax for at least 30 minutes.
Assemble the Tart!
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Roll the pie crust out and press into your tart pan
3. Pour cranberry filling into the crust and bake for 28-32 minutes (I baked mine for 30 minutes)
* Like I mentioned in my last post, you can dust this baby with powdered sugar when it’s done baking, or you can take this to a whole new level and enjoy it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of fresh whipped cream. YUM!
Aaannnndddddd I made some cream puffs while the tart is cooling down. I let the cranberry tart cool to room temperature before I put it into the fridge. That will be in the next post.
enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog