Dec 10, 2011

Cranberry Tart

During thanksgiving week, cranberries were so cheap at the market I go to. I bought two bags of them, and never got a chance to bake with them until today.
I woke up at around 9 and wanted to bake really badly, so I spend a couple hours looking for a recipe for cranberry tart.
Food Network is my favorite TV channel. Most of the books I own are recipe books or about food. I have been a youtuber for a long time, and all I watch is cooking videos.
I first saw Laura's video about two years ago, and I subscribed to her channel immediately afterwards. Around thanksgiving I saw this video she put up and have always wanted to make it.
I’m not a big fan of fruit desserts. I mean I love fruits; I love the natural flavor and sweetness of most fruit. Which is why I don’t like the idea of adding more of sugar to the fruit. And that’s also why I don’t like juice they sell in the market, which has tons of sugar added.
However, I have a friend who loves tart and I need to use up those cranberries so I thought, what the heck, might as well give it a try. And then the tart actually turned out to be surprisingly good!
Many people just use the pie crust when making a tart; not me. Pie dough and tart dough are not the same; the texture is different and they taste different, too. Pie crust is crisp and flaky while the tart dough crumbly and firm. The tart crust is crunchy and has more sugar in the dough than the pie crust. The ingredients, especially the fat, in the pie crust needs to be chilled and the dough needs to be handle quickly. Most pie crust recipe use a combination of fats, some people use butter and shortening, while some use lard. The tart dough, on the other hand, contains only butter, and it actually needs to be softened at room temperature.
Cranberry Tart
Filling (slightly adapted from LauraInTheKitchen)
Ingredients:
2 C cranberries
¼ C apple cider
2 Tbsp water
1 cinnamon stick
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp lemon zest
½ C granulated sugar
1 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp butter
Directions:
1. Wash and drain the cranberries. Preheat your oven to 400F
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cranberries, apple cider, water, cinnamon stick, ginger, nutmeg, and lemon zest. Bring the mixture to a boil.
Cook for another minute or so, or until most of the cranberries are popped.
3. Bring heat down to low. Add in the sugar and flour
cook for another minute or until the mixture thickens.
4. Remove mixture from heat and add in the butter and stir until it melts. Let mixture cool
5. While the cranberry filing is cooking, go ahead and make the crust!

Tart Crust
Ingredients:
90 g (a little more than 6 Tbsp) softened butter
¼ tsp salt
40 g sugar
180 g flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
Directions:
1. In a large bowl, mix together butter, salt, and sugar until well blended.
2. Sift in flour and mix well
The mixture looks like almond meal
3. Add in the egg and mix well
4. Dump mixture into a 10-inch tart pan and press and spread the dough evenly with your fingers.
Assemble the Cranberry tart!
Pour the cranberry filling into the tart crust
bake for 28-32 minutes (I baked mine for 30 minutes.) You’re only trying to bake the crust, since the filling is already cooked. When the crust start to shrink and pulls away from the pan, you tart is done!
You can dust the tart with some confectioners’ sugar to make it look pretty but I like it the way it is, plus, it does not need extra sugar.
enjoy

1 comment:

Search This Blog