Dec 7, 2011

Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

So I don’t really like cakes, cupcakes, muffins, and sweet bread unless they are sweet enough or have an intense flavor. I like cakes that are super rich, super sweet, and super dense; but I also like fluffy and light cakes. It’s confusing, I know, because they are completely opposite. I guess what I’m trying to say is I don’t like the in-between texture or taste.
I love how rich and creamy a cheesecake is; I also love how dense a flourless chocolate cake is; it’s almost like eating a huge chunk of chocolate.
I enjoy the airy texture of an angel food cake; I also enjoy how fluffy a sponge cake is.
I don’t like the in-between texture or taste, like a yellow cake; it confuses me.
Which is why I’m very surprised by how good Hershey’s “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Cake is.

So many bloggers have talked about this recipe; and I’ve also seen many youtubers’ video recipe of it. One day I finally decided to give it a try. As much as I hate to admit it; the cake is actually pretty darn good.
Ingredients:
2 C sugar
1 ¾ C all-purpose flour
¾ C cocoa
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 C milk
½ C vegetable oil (I used canola oil, and I’ve tried using melted butter)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 C boiling water
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 9-in round baking pans
2. In a large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla; with a mixer, beat on medium speed for 2 minutes (I used a whisk and beat for about 4 minutes, until the mixture become lighter in color and thicker.)
3. Stir in boiling water
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes, and then remove it from the pans to wire rack, and let them cool completely. Frost!
* The cake batter is very thin because it has lots of wet ingredients. Which is why the cake is so moist and yummy!
* The way I check the doneness of my cakes is when I see the cake starts to pull away from the side of the cake pan.
* Another way to check to see if the cake is done or not is to press lightly on the center of the cake, you know it’s done if it “bounces back,” if it sinks down and stays there, it’s not done.
I didn’t use the “Perfectly Chocolate” chocolate Frosting; I used cream cheese frosting instead.
Cream cheese frosting is my ultimate favorite frosting; it’s sweet and tangy
Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients:
1 (8 ounces) package cream cheese, softened
¼ C (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1 C confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:
1. Beat together Cream cheese and butter until well-blended
2. Add in sugar, a little at a time, mix well
3. Add in the vanilla extract , mix until well-combined
* Whenever I make cakes or cupcakes, I always make the frosting before I start making the cake and just let it chill in the fridge until needed.
enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog