Oct 8, 2011

I dream of cream puffs

A guy from our school came up with a brilliant idea and created a website called Symblia, which is basically craigslist, but only within our school community.
Most people sell art supplies, textbooks and such; I love the website, it’s awesome. One day a lovely friend of mine suggested me to sell my baked goods on the website; what a great idea. With her help I set up an account right away. It goes something like this:
I love love love to bake, and I just want to share my passion with y'all. I bake regularly and am able to cater to whatever your little heart and sweet tooth desires. I do special occasion baking such as birthdays, anniversaries, and victory treats for a stressful week (although you never need an excuse for a yummy treat.) I've taken many baking classes, and have been baking for a long time; so I can bake to accommodate your special needs, Including allergies, low fat/low sugar preferences, and substitutions.
and I left my contact info and then I uploaded a picture of cream puffs/profiterole that I made awhile ago.

The next day, I still remember it was a Friday morning, or maybe I should say noon, I
woke up to see a text from this guy named Po. He saw my post that morning while he was in a boring class and wanted to order some cream puffs. I could not find a way to describe how excited I was. I told him I would have the cream puffs ready later that day.
It wasn’t long after I moved into the new dormitory I didn’t get a chance to use the oven until then. Of course I burned the first batch; it was upsetting. I texted Po and told him I would have the cream puffs by 10pm, for sure. I gave it another try and they finally came out perfect!
This awesome dude Po definitely made my day. Not only was he my first customer, he also gave my cream puffs good compliments! There’s barely anything I enjoy seeing more than the happy and satisfied face of those who eat my baked goods. Thanks a lot, Po!

Cream Puffs
Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, unsalted
1 cup water
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract

Direction:
1. Preheat oven to 425F degree
2. In a bowl, whisk to combine the sifted flour, sugar, a
nd salt
3. In another bowl, lightly beat together eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla extract
4. In a saucepan, combine the stick of butter and water. Cook on medium low heat and bring the mixture to boil.
5. Stir in the dry ingredients (2) until the mixture starts to come together and form a ball. Transfer the mixture into a large mixing bowl
6. Beat in the egg mixture, a little at a time. Eventually you'll end up with a very sticky dough
7. Put the dough into a piping back and pipe them on your baking sheet (no need to grease the pan) Pipe the dough about an inch apart from each other
8. Bake for about 20-25 minutes
Notes:
* When boiling the butter and the water, don't get confused with just the water boiling, wait until both the water and the butter start to boil, and then add in the flour.
* Before adding in the egg mixture, allow the dough to cool down a bit; it should feels warm when touching.
* When beating the egg mixture, try to be patient and add it slowly. Make sure they are well incorporated before you add in more egg mixture. At first it'll seem very wrong, don't panic, the dough will come together as you continue to beat the crap out of it, trust me.

I usually use vanilla or chocolate ice cream as the filling, but I made some with filling and left the rest "un-filled" for Po and his friends to eat with ice cream. Here's the recipe I used:
Cream Filling: (Best I've ever tried!)
1 (3.5 oz) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
1/2
cup heavy cream
1/2 cup light whipping cream
1/2 cup milk

Directions:
Beat all the ingredients together for about a minute. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge to set


enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog